Monday, July 24, 2017
Saturday, July 22, 2017
The abridged version goes a bit like this: Export your simulated cloth, also export your cloth but in a 2D pattern form, take the 2D pattern into Zbrush and use Zremesher to get a lower polycount. Then import all three versions into Maya and use the transfer attributes tool to transfer the Zremeshed topology onto the simulated cloth's shape.
Using the method will depend on your poly budget and whether or not you're willing to spend extra time after this to go into Maya and edit your Zremesh-ed model to put in or take out extra polys where necessary.
For me, I just wasn't able to get a good mesh with this method. In the end I just Zremeshed the simulated cloth version. From that I was able to get my sheet down from 171k...
After this, I needed to make a comforter for my bed. I found a few more tutorials to make something more complex than a simulated square. I created a new avatar out of an fbx with both my proxy bed and my sheet. Technically I could have just used the last project with the simulated sheet instead of creating this new fbx. However, since I liked the look of my sheet, I didn't want to risk messing it up. I also didn't want the sheet to get in the way of the comforter I was making. In the end, it's easiest to just have it as part of the avatar and work on top of it.
While it may look far more complicated than the sheet, it's really not so much. The comforter body is essentially two sheets sewn together (for a top and bottom side) with internal squares for the square pattern and pressure to puff it up from the inside. The ruffles are a matter of creating more rectangles with lengths longer than the sides of the body. When they sew together, they'll bunch up because of the extra fabric. It took me many hours as I was learning it, but now that I've done it once I would be able to recreate this in no time. Again, I pulled the fabric around during the simulation to make it look messier.
Then it was retopo time again. This time, I learned from my mistakes and tried a few different methods, including following the video verbatim. But nothing was giving me good results. The video's method either gave me a mesh with such a low poly count everything ended up looking crunchy and bad, or with a poly count so high it wasn't anywhere near game ready (no offense to the video's creator). So I went old fashioned and retopologized with the Quad Tool in good ol' Maya.
I was able to go from this at over 1 million polys...
To this at about 1700 polys
Much nicer than 9k. In hindsight I skimped on the polys and could've added more to make it smoother. Though be warned, something like this took me at least a good 7 hours at least. This method may be the most accurate for poly usage, but it is time consuming, especially the more complex your mesh.
Tuesday, July 11, 2017
Sunday, July 9, 2017
I especially focused on the comforter going from every step from marvelous to in engine
Here is the mesh Marvelous gave me. It was about 1 million tris.
And the completed version with redone textures
And here is it with the bake and textures from Substance Painter