Monday, May 22, 2017

3D Class S2 Portfolio Project 1 Plan Phase

For my first portfolio piece, I'm going to create a young girl's room. For the sake of scope, I will be focusing on one focal corner of the room featuring a desk, chair, and window.

I will be using this image by Brandon Martynowicz as inspiration


My plan for the four weeks are as follows:
Week 1: Modeling of scene assets
Week 2: UVs and begin textures
Week 3: If possible, add more assets. If not, continue with textures
Week 4: Finish textures, import into engine, create materials, any other last fixes

Monday, May 1, 2017

3D Class S2 Personal Project Final

Over the course of the last two weeks, I finished my personal project.

First here are the renders of the helmets in Substance Painter





I later used Photoshop and UE4 to create the emissive lights on the hemlets' visors

And here is the DJ Console in Substance


Here is my final scene in UE4

And here it is in motion to show the panning materials

And here are my models shown off in UE4




Tuesday, April 18, 2017

3D Class S2 Personal Project Week 2

This week, after some advice, I decided to focus on continuing work on the helmets.

For the most part, I focused on Guy's helmet. I reworked a lot of the design, especially the inside, fixed up some topology, worked on making some details more representative of the original helmet, and smoothing it out.

I also made stands for the helmets so they aren't just floating in the air anymore




Then I took the meshes into Unreal to start setting up the layout of the scene and a first pass at proxy lighting


(I put a white light in front of Guy's helmet for now since his will have a rainbow of lights)

Next week I will be working on textures

Monday, April 10, 2017

3D Class S2 Personal Project Week 1

This week I started work on my personal project. My focus was to take my proxy assets from the planning stage and model high resolution models.

Here is a reference of the helmets once again for comparison

Here is my quick sketch for composition and lighting concepts


And here are my proxies from the planning stage


I started with Thomas' helmet

Then made Guy-Manuel's

Here are some views of the two together



Then I made the DJ mixer console


And here it is all together

Going forward, I'll have to make some changes to my predicted timeline. I expected to have to spend two weeks just modeling, but as it is I've already completed my hero pieces. I'll have to spend the next week creating more smaller assets to fill the scene (e.g. stands for the helmets so they're not just floating) and then I can begin on textures.

(Btw finding reference images of Discovery-era Daft Punk helmets is harder than one would think)

Friday, April 7, 2017

3D Class S2 Personal Project

For our last assignment of the semester, I'm going to be working on a personal, portfolio-ready project. Since I want to focus on props/environments, I decided on a piece that will focus on well made props.

I've decided to recreate the Daft Punk helmets in 3D. Along with the helmets, I will have a small scene space around them including a DJ mixer console and a LED display.

I created a quick mockup sketch to get some ideas for composition down before starting.


I decided that for the environments, besides the props, I wanted to focus to be on the many colored lights in the scene to create the mood/atmosphere of the scene.

Then I created a quick proxy scene in Maya

Here is my personal timetable:
Week 1: Modeling assets
Week 2: Finish modeling, sculpting, baking
Week 3: Textures. Create more assets for the scene if time allows
Week 4: Polish (models, textures), finishing in UE4, lighting

And these are the reference images I'll be using, and any more if necessary:
Helmets:



Mixer:





Monday, April 3, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 11 Environment Project (Week III)

This week we finished up our three week environment project.

For this final week, I wanted to focus on my cake as a single object to push to a highly developed model.

I went into Zbrush for high res sculpting and baked it onto a low res model in Substance.

Then I painted the textures

And here it is in engine

I added windows and clouds outside past the environment

After that I focused on fixing up textures and fixing up all of the assets in the rest of the environment





Monday, March 27, 2017

3D Class S2 Class 10 Environment Project (Week II)

This week we continued with our environment project, now focusing on final meshes and creating textures.

Before I began any work, I decided to return to step 1 and change my idea for an environment. As it was, I wasn't excited about my last concept and I was having a hard time coming up with ideas for how to make it special. So instead of the "land of sweets" concept, I decided to go for a "super cute bakery". So we haven't ditched the sweets entirely, but I felt like there was more I could do and make an overall better piece with this idea.

So, I went back to the proxy stage to concept out my designs.




Then I added proxy first pass colors



After that I went into making high res versions of the models and some redesigning of the layout happened along the way.

This is my final environment in Unreal without textures



Then I made proxy textures and added materials to bring the environment to life