Pages

Monday, October 24, 2016

3D Class Week 09 Create a Simple Organic Model

This week's assignment was to take a design for an organic model, create a game res mesh in maya, sculpt a hi res mesh in ZBrush, paint textures in Substance, and then finally import it into Unreal.

This was a particularly difficult assignment for me and I faced many setbacks and issues throughout the process. I originally started with the shark design before switching over to one of the fish.

I began by sculpting my low res model in Maya.


Then I took this mesh and imported it into ZBrush in order to sculpt a high res mesh with fine details



Then I attempted to bring both meshes into Substance Painter to paint my textures. However, I found many issues at this stage. Because my high res mesh didn't match my low res mesh well enough, I had quite a few troubles baking. After wrestling with Maya, Substance, Zbrush, and faulty UVs for a few hours, I eventually started painting my textures.

However, it was only after I finished that I realized the textures I creating in Substance weren't compatible with Unreal. So, it was back to Substance to start over for me. Before that, I took the opportunity to go back into Maya and rework my low res model a bit. I ended up with this:


I went back to Substance and redid the baking process and my textures.



Finally I imported my mesh and textures into Unreal and created my material to show off the final model.


Total work time: Around 14 hours (including the shark I originally started on)

12/12/16
As of today, I have done some changes to this fish model.

First, I went back to Maya to properly retopologize the low res version of the fish


And here is a nicer shot of the high poly version


Then I took it back into substance where I baked the hi poly version onto the new version and made some minor tweaks to the texture


No comments:

Post a Comment