Pages

Monday, November 28, 2016

3D Class Week 14 Creating An Environment Part 02

For our continued focus on environment art, this time our task was to create an environment within UE4 using the landscape tool. We first had to model and texture a set of rocks, then create a terrain in UE4, paint the terrain with at least three textures, and arrange everything together as an environment.

For my environment, I wanted to create something like a hidden cave oasis in the middle of a desert

First I sculpted the rocks. I decided to try and work without Maya this time, so I sculpted, retopologized, and UVed within ZBrush

Somewhat ironically, I had to use Maya to line up the low and hi res versions of the rocks

Then I went to Substance to texture them

And here are the rocks in Unreal

Next was the process of creating the terrain, applying textures, and arranging the rocks. Here is my material for the landscape:
For my landscape, I used four textures total. My brick and my stone texture from last week, fransico's rocky dirt texture, and Matt's sandy texture

Overview:

Outside view:



Inside the cave view:

For the cave, I added a transparent plane for water and I added a few lights to help illuminate the area 




Bonus: To get the full effect of the environment, I captured a short video

1 comment:

  1. Very cool results, the man made path feels odd in this level. Would like you to build out your space a bit more!

    ReplyDelete